Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day

Happy 2013!!! I can't believe another new year is here, time really does fly by! 2012 was a crazy year, with a career change, crazy dating life, amazing new friends, tons of great parties and an awesome football season for the warhawks! I'm really excited to see what 2013 will bring :)

In the South we believe eating black eyed peas on New Year's day will bring prosperity in the new year and cabbage will bring luck and fortune. Since I want to make sure this year will be amazing I incorporated them into my dinner tonight. My meal consisted of black eyed pea soup, sautéed cabbage and of course no southern meal is complete without cornbread.

Earlier in the month I saw a recipe on Plain Chicken's blog for black eyed pea soup.

Black Eye Peas and Ham

1 lb dried black eye peas
8 oz diced ham
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 Tbsp cajun seasoning

Rinse black eye peas and put in crockpot.  Add remaining ingredients and cook on low 8-10 hours

I didn't have enough ham so I added some chopped bacon as well, it was a good addition to the soup.


Next I made the cornbread and I'm a jiffy girl. It's super easy and taste great if not better than if you make it from scratch.  

You only need one egg and 1/3 cup of milk.  I used almond milk, because that's what I had and it works just as well as regular milk. 
I love cornbread in a skillet

For the cabbage, I heated olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Next, I chopped the cabbage. 
I added a few spices, garlic salt and Cajun seasoning.
I was out of Tony's so Tiger Dust was used instead.
Saute the cabbage for about 10 minutes and your done!


Overall it was a great meal and I should have great luck in 2013 :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment